Tuesday

Memorial

 

Greeting

We are gathered here to honor the memory of a departed friend, one whose life on earth is finished. We come, however, not to voice despair over the death of the physical body but to express our whole-hearted faith and rejoice that a human soul has embarked on the career of eternal life in the progressive service of the Heavenly Father; not because life is over but because it has risen to more glorious possibilities; not because the darkness has closed in but because life has opened into the eternal morning. 

 … From the memorial service for Dr. William S. Sadler


Selections from the Book of Psalms

Psalms on the love of God and the promise of eternal life


We'll begin with Psalm 23. 

You're welcome to say it with me if you know it by heart.


🔷🔷


KJV Psalm 23

1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures: he leads me beside still waters.

3 He restores my soul: he leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

🔷🔷

NRSV Psalm 62:5-8

For God alone my soul waits in silence,
    for my hope is from him.

He alone is my rock and my salvation,
    my fortress; I shall not be shaken.

On God rests my deliverance and my honor;
    my mighty rock, my refuge is in God.

Trust in him at all times, O people;
    pour out your heart before him;
    God is a refuge for us.

🔷🔷


NRSV Psalm 90:1-6, 12-13

Lord, you have been our dwelling place
    in all generations.

Before the mountains were brought forth,
    or ever you had formed the earth and the world,
    from everlasting to everlasting you are God.

You turn us back to dust,
    and say, “Turn back, you mortals.”

For a thousand years in your sight
    are like yesterday when it is past,
    or like a watch in the night.

You sweep them away; they are like a dream,
    like grass that is renewed in the morning;

in the morning it flourishes and is renewed;
    in the evening it fades and withers.

12 So teach us to count our days
    that we may gain a wise heart.

14 Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love,
    so that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.

🔷🔷


NRSV Psalm 36:5-9

Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens,
    your faithfulness to the clouds.

Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains,
    your judgments are like the great deep;
    
You preserve man and beast, O Lord.

How precious is your steadfast love, O God!
    All people may take refuge in the shadow of your wings.

They feast on the abundance of your house,
    and you give them drink from the river of your delights.

For with you is the fountain of life;
    in your light we see light.

🔷🔷

Please join me in saying the Lord's Prayer together


The Lord’s Prayer

Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name, 

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread. 

And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. 

Amen.


🔷🔷


Music


"A Life Remembered"


Spontaneous Remembrances


🔷🔷


In closing, let us read together


Peace Prayer of Saint Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace:

where there is hatred, let me sow love;

where there is injury, pardon;

where there is doubt, faith;

where there is despair, hope;

where there is darkness, light;

where there is sadness, joy. 


O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek

to be consoled as to console,

to be understood as to understand,

to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive, 

it is in pardoning that we are pardoned, 

and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Amen.


🔷🔷